I’ve just released a simple utility QuickCalendar onto the Android Marketplace.
It’s a simple application that displays the current and the next (or the next two) events on the notification bar of your Android phone.
I wrote it because I miss a similar feature from my last phone, a Windows Mobile device. The trickiest part was getting access to the calendar data. There is a provider for calendar data, but unlike the contacts provider it is not part of the standard SDK. However the functionality can be obtained if you get the source (Android is open source), adjust the exported items and build your own SDK.
I may write an article on how to do this if there is demand. Also I will release the source for the application when I have OKed it with my employer. In the meantime you can use the application yourself by going to the Android Marketplace on your phone and searching for QuickCalendar.
Get it from the Market, or here
I’ve had some nice comments and feature requests (always welcome). As a result I’ve fixed some bugs and added some features.
Search button supported on devices that have a hardware search button.
Corporate Calendar supported on Motorola handets.
Widgets refresh immediately when calendar is modified, when preferences are modified, and when the screen is enabled.
Progress indicator for main page.
Widgets to not refresh when screen is off, to save battery.
Refresh rate can be configured in preference screen.
Bug fixed with widget font size.
- 0.9.18 : Cupcake version! Gadget for home page available. Colored indicators in task bar. Also: German language support.
- 0.9.17 : Bug fix release (service not starting on phone power up since 0.9.13).
- 0.9.16 : 24hr (aka military time) format not used in category view unless is on in phone preferences.
- 0.9.15 : Bug fix release (preference changes not taking effect).
- 0.9.14 : Context menu selection for time events. Day group headings correct in all time zones.
- 0.9.13 : Now possible to specify any time (up to 999 weeks) to look ahead for notifications and for the main event list. You are not limited to the pre-set durations. New notification icons more in keeping with the Android conventions. New choice of event list format of ‘grouped by day’ or the original classic layout. Events can be shown colored by the calendar color.
- 0.9.12 : Fixed bug introduced in 0.9.11 (time zones didn’t work). Sorry everyone. Daylight savings time should also work properly now though.
- 0.9.11 : Improved progress indicator. Attempted bug fix on calendar preference screen.
- 0.9.10 : Search option – now possible to search calendars! Minor cosmetic improvements.
- 0.9.9 : New icon from Darrel Austin. Another ‘all day’ event fix. Fixed problem with apk size.
- 0.9.8 : All day events sort correctly in all time zones. All day events future day names correct.
- 0.9.7 : Up two four alerts. All day events work in all time zones.
- 0.9.6 : aDogTrack support. Notification icons can be enabled in preferences.
- 0.9.5 : Less obtrusive notify icons. Start service on power on option.
- 0.9.4 : Ability to select/deselect calendars to alert (where you have multiple calendars).
- 0.9.3 : Fixed problem where the notifications stopped updating.
- 0.9.2 : Fixed problem where the time zone was ignored.
- 0.9.1 : The first published version.